Gum health is a huge part of oral hygiene. Keeping your gums healthy can lead to a healthier mouth and smile and can prevent serious problems such as periodontal disease and tooth loss. If your gums aren’t in the best shape they could be, our Indianapolis periodontist has some tips to help you improve your gum health. At Indy Implants, we are issuing a challenge to our patients to take control of their gum health in just 30 days.
Here is how to do that. Many of these items are things you can do at home to get started. Good oral hygiene starts with daily habits.
- Use a good toothbrush: Find a brush with soft and round bristles. This way you can brush your teeth and gums without hurting your gums. Your Indianapolis periodontist recommends using a brush with crisscross bristles.
- Floss, each and every day!: This is a really important one. We realize that a lot of people don’t love to floss. But, it doesn’t take that long. Once you get used to flossing each time you brush your teeth, it gets easier and becomes part of your daily routine. There are many products out there that make flossing easier.
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day: This one is easy. Brush your teeth when you wake up and right before bed. If you aren’t already doing this, making it a habit is important. Once you’re used to it, it’s a simple habit that has long-lasting, positive impacts. We know it can be easy to forget to floss that second time. But, trust us, it will lead to a healthier mouth, a healthier smile, and better smelling breath.
- Use mouthwash: This allows your gums and tongues and other parts of the mouth to get a cleaning. For questions about which mouthwash products to use,don’t hesitate to ask. We are happy to help. Plus, mouthwash leads to better breath, which is another plus.
- Avoid soft drinks: These drinks have a lot of sugar which can cause plaque to form. Also, some are very acidic which weras done tooth enamel over time.
These are some simple things you can do in a month to improve your gum health. These are habits that take a few minutes a day and a few, simple changes and can lead to big improvement.If you have any more questions, talk to your periodontist in Indianapolis today.
Schedule an Appointment
Call Indy Implants to schedule an appointment and check-in on your gum health. Our friendly front desk staff and experienced periodontist are happy to help!