Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is an autologous platelet concentrate prepared from your own blood at our office just before the dental procedure in which it will assist.
Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is an autologous platelet concentrate prepared from your own blood at our office just before the dental procedure in which it will assist. Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is a by-product of your blood that is exceptionally rich in platelets. PRF has been used in hospitals to accelerate the natural healing process, and now it has been introduced into oral surgery procedures. Your blood platelets perform several essential functions in the body, including blood clot formation and the release of growth factors that help to heal wounds. These growth factors stimulate the stem cells to produce new host tissue as quickly as possible, which is why PRF is so effective in the post-treatment healing process.
Implant Dentistry and Periodontics understands the benefits to you of this new addition of platelet-rich fibrin to your oral health. We offer an extensive range of periodontal and dental implant services to help all patients. Our conscientious team works tirelessly on the team goal of providing you with quality service for your overall oral health. Our staff addresses all dental procedures in a calm and relaxing environment, and we approach your dental care as an important partner on your health care team. If you have questions about the benefits of the platelet rich fibrin technique for your next dental procedure, call our Indianapolis office at 317-574-0600 or our Fishers office at 317-842-2273 to schedule your appointment today.
The Benefits of Platelet Rich Fibrin Treatment
Some advantages and benefits of Platelet rich fibrin treatment include:
- Lower Infection Risk – Platelet rich fibrin is secured on your wound after the procedure by Implant Dentistry and Periodontics which in turn will seal the wound from any infectious agents, lowering the risk of complications after your surgery.
- Accelerated Healing – Saturating the wound with Platelet rich fibrin will help increase the tissue synthesis due to its growth factors, which then results in faster tissue regeneration. Faster healing simply decreases the risk of possible later infections, complications, and minimizes discomfort.
- Safety and Convenience – There is no chance of any disease transmission since the blood is harvested from your own supply; the amount of blood needed is so small and can be obtained during a routine outpatient procedure at Implant Dentistry and Periodontics.
When is Platelet Rich Fibrin Used?
Platelet rich fibrin is used in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery in the following ways:
- Bone Grafting for Implants – this also includes the closure of a cleft lip and cleft palate, sinus lifts, ridge augmentation, as well as both inlay and onlay grafts.
- Bone Repair – Platelet rich fibrin can be used in facial trauma reconstruction as well as the removal of growths and cysts.
- Fistula Repair – This includes the repair of fistulas, the abnormal connection between your mouth and your sinus cavity.
At Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, we offer a wide range of periodontal and dental implant services. Our caring and compassionate team has one collective priority and that is your smile.
Contact Our Team Today
Several Periodontal Procedures Benefitting from Platelet Rich Fibrin
- Ridge preservation- Ridge preservation, a procedure to reduce bone loss after a tooth extraction to preserve the dental alveolus in the alveolar bone. A platelet-rich fibrin membrane containing bone growth enhancing elements can be stitched over your wound or a graft material or scaffold is placed in the socket of your extracted tooth at the time of extraction. The socket is then covered with a non-resorbable or resorbable membrane and sutured closed.
- Sinus lift- A platelet-rich fibrin can be used if a sinus lift is required for a dental implant.
- Periodontal regeneration- Reproduction of a lost or injured part to restore the function of the entire group of periodontal tissues becomes an integral part of periodontal therapy. Conventional open flap deep cleaning can fall short of regenerating tissues destroyed by the disease. Platelet rich fibrin showed significant improvement in intense procedures of this nature. Platelet-rich fibrin has shown significant results in periodontal regeneration. One of the most common aesthetic problem encountered in the field of periodontology is gingival recession, which in turn is perceived by you as increase in length of your teeth. Though connective tissue graft is currently the gold standard for treatment, we have used platelet rich fibrin as an alternative procedure if it helps with your level of comfort.
- Guided bone and tissue regeneration- We use platelet rich fibrin in guided bone and tissue regeneration.
The Protocol for a Platelet Rich Fibrin Treatment
We will do a thorough evaluation and determine whether you are a candidate for PRF treatment. For example, if you have blood clotting disorders you cannot take advantage of this treatment. We will collect a small sample of your blood during a scheduled outpatient treatment which will then be placed into a centrifuge to separate the plasma and fibrin from the red blood cells. The centrifuge concentrates the platelets, fibrin and white blood cells which contains a growth factor called Platelet Derived Growth Factor (PDGF).
Immediately after suturing the wound, or completing your procedure, we will apply a large amount of platelet rich fibrin to the surgical site to accelerate the healing and lessen the amount of discomfort after surgery. We will provide specific aftercare instructions pertaining to the surgery and a prescription for pain medication as required.
Earning your Trust with High Quality Periodontal Care
When you schedule a platelet rich fibrin treatment with our thorough staff at Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, you will be impressed with the degree of professionalism and that we are a team that has an extensive level of advanced dental technology at our disposal in our clinic. We all are very conscientious because we understand how different and unique each of us really are. We work well together in developing your personalized treatments, to ensure success that works for your desires and budget. Our entire team focuses on regaining your personal asset, your healthy smile, so every procedure we perform for you is with your best interests and oral health in mind.
At Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, our clinic has a calming and soothing atmosphere, and we want you to be confident with our abilities and services. Scheduling an appointment for your platelet rich fibrin technique is a beneficial first step towards being proactive in your oral health and regaining your healthy smile. To schedule an appointment, call our Indianapolis office, 8801 North Meridian St., Suite 103, Indianapolis, at 317-574-0600 or our Fishers office, 9885 E. 116th St, Suite 300, Fishers, at 317-842-2273.