A dental prophylaxis is a teeth cleaning treatment professionally performed to thoroughly clean your teeth and gums.
A dental prophylaxis is a teeth cleaning treatment professionally performed to thoroughly clean your teeth and gums. Prophylaxis is an important dental treatment for stopping the progression of gingivitis and periodontal disease, or gum disease.
Periodontal disease and gingivitis occur when bacteria from plaque colonize on your gingival (gum) tissue, either above or below the gum line. These bacteria colonies will cause serious inflammation and irritation which in turn produce a chronic inflammatory response in your body. Your body then begins to systematically destroy gum and bone tissue, making your teeth shift, become unstable, or completely fall out. The pockets between your gums and teeth become deeper and now house even more bacteria which can travel through the bloodstream and infect other parts of your body.
Implant Dentistry and Periodontics understands the simple important benefits of proper teeth cleaning. We offer a range of significant periodontal and dental implant services to assist all patients. Our conscientious team focuses on consistently providing you with quality service for your overall oral health. We will address each of your dental procedures in a relaxing and stress-free environment, and we will approach your unique dental care as an important partner on your health care team. If you have questions about the benefits of professional teeth cleaning, call our Indianapolis office at 317-574-0600 or our Fishers office at 317-842-2273 to schedule your appointment today.
What does prophylaxis involve?
Prophylaxis or teeth cleaning can either be performed at a regular dental visit or, if necessary, under sedation. The latter is particularly common where severe periodontal disease is suspected or has been diagnosed.
Prophylaxis is generally performed in several stages:
- Supragingival cleaning – We will thoroughly clean the area above your gum line with dental scaling tools to rid them of plaque and calculus.
- Subgingival cleaning – This is the most important step if you have periodontal disease because we can remove calculus from the gum pockets and beneath the gum line.
- Root planing - This is the smoothing of the tooth root by Implant Dentistry and Periodontics to eliminate any remaining bacteria. These bacteria are extremely dangerous to periodontitis sufferers, so eliminating them is one of our top priorities.
- Medication - Following your scaling and root planing, an antibiotic or antimicrobial cream is often placed in the gum pockets. These creams will promote fast and healthy healing in the pockets and help ease discomfort.
- X-ray and examination – Routine X-rays are extremely helpful in revealing periodontal disease. X-rays show the extent of bone and gum recession and aid us in identifying areas which may need future attention.
Teeth cleaning is strongly recommended twice annually as a preventative measure but should be performed every three months if you suffer from periodontitis. Though gum disease cannot be completely reversed, prophylaxis is one of the tools we can use to effectively halt its destructive progress.
The Benefits of Teeth Cleaning
Prophylaxis is an effective procedure in keeping the oral cavity in proper health and halting the progression of gum disease. The benefits include:
- Plaque removal. Tartar, also referred to as calculus, and plaque buildup, both above and below the gum line, will result in serious periodontal problems. Even with your proper home brushing and flossing routine, it can still be impossible to remove all debris, bacteria, and deposits from gum pockets. The experienced eyes at Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, using specialized dental equipment, is necessary to catch the potentially damaging buildup.
- A healthier looking smile. Stained and yellowed teeth can dramatically decrease the esthetics of your smile. Teeth cleaning is an effective treatment in ridding the teeth of these unsightly stains.
- Fresher breath. Bad breath, or halitosis, is usually indicative of advancing periodontal disease. A combination of rotting food particles, possibly below the gum line, and potential gangrene stemming from gum infection, results in bad breath. The regular removal of plaque, calculus and bacteria at Implant Dentistry and Periodontics can noticeably improve halitosis and reduce infection.
- The Identification of health issues. Many health problems first present themselves to us. Since prophylaxis, teeth cleaning, involves a thorough examination of the entire oral cavity, we can screen for oral cancer, evaluate the risk of periodontitis and often spot signs of other medical problems like diabetes and kidney problems. Recommendations can also be provided for altering your home care regimen.
At Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, we offer a wide range of periodontal and dental implant services. Our caring and compassionate team has one collective priority and that is your smile.
Contact Our Team Today
At Home Oral Hygiene and Proper Prevention
Keeping your mouth healthy involves more than just visiting Implant Dentistry and Periodontics every six months for a check-up and cleaning. It is important for you to develop and practice a good at-home oral hygiene routine to prevent damaging plaque buildup and disease. We are happy to provide you with resources and recommend custom protocols to help you maintain optimal oral health. As a rule, you should always be brushing twice a day and flossing once a day.
Your Proper Nutrition and Your Oral Health
Your diet has a major impact on your teeth and gums. Sugary or acidic foods and drinks will erode the enamel and increase the risk for decay. On the flip side, there are also foods that will enhance your oral health. We are incredibly happy to work with you on a proper nutrition plan as it pertains to your oral health and overall wellness.
Earning your Trust with High Quality Periodontal Care
When you schedule regular teeth cleaning with our thorough staff at Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, you will be impressed with our level of thoroughness and that we are proud of the advanced dental technology at our disposal in our clinic. We are quite thoughtful because we understand how different and unique each situation is. We are conscientious in creating your personalized treatments, to ensure success that works for your desires and budget. The entire team focuses on the restoration of your personal asset, your healthy smile, so every procedure we perform is with your best interests and oral health in mind.
At Implant Dentistry and Periodontics, our clinic has a calm, stress-free and relaxing atmosphere, and we want you to be confident with our abilities and services. Scheduling an appointment for a professional teeth cleaning is a beneficial important step towards being proactive in your oral health and regaining your healthy smile. To schedule an appointment, call our Indianapolis office, 8801 North Meridian St., Suite 103, Indianapolis, at 317-574-0600 or our Fishers office, 9885 E. 116th St, Suite 300, Fishers, at 317-842-2273.